Republican Jill Homan Fights for Economic Development, Jobs in Wards 7 and 8

Jill Homan
Jill Homan

Behind her ice-blue eyes, Jill Homan -- who is vying with Teri Galvez to be Republican National Committeewoman for Washington, D.C. -- has aspirations to bring more red into D.C. by connecting voters from all over the city, east to west.

“I think we can improve our relationships with existing Republicans,” Homan said. “Going door to door has been very beneficial. People see that there is a vibrant party and that we have the opportunities to succeed.”

Homan believes the District can improve its local Republican Party in three ways. First, she said, is connecting with the base. Second is bringing new residents moving to Washington into the Republican Party, and third is taking advantage of the opportunity to connect with voters east of the Anacostia River in Wards 7 and 8.

These two wards have severely high unemployment rates. “It’s something like 50 percent for ex-offenders,” Homan said. “I would argue that their leaders have failed them.” Unemployment rates for Wards 7 and 8 are 17 percent and 25 percent, respectively.

Having recently held a Black History Month event in Ward 7 with D.C Council candidate Ron Moten, Homan heard firsthand from the Republican voters in the community who are looking for change.

“They say, ‘Why can’t we have more sit-down restaurants nearby? Why is Denny’s one of the only options? Why can’t we have a bank over here?’ ” she said.

Homan also expressed her frustration for those more concerned with legalizing marijuana or conserving the wildlife over more immediate issues. “We need to be equally concerned with lack of jobs, lack of access to healthcare and difficulty with transportation.”

A Penn Quarter homeowner, Homan worked for former Maryland Governor Bob Ehrlich, when he is a representative on Capitol Hill as his press secretary. She earned two master's degrees from Duke University and co-founded Javelin 19 Investments, a commercial real estate investment company.

“Being able to provide my insight was helpful to people there,” she said. “I am excited, come April 4, to continue.”

If she is elected, her first plan of action is to get some sleep, Homan said laughing. After that, she hopes to get the leadership together. “Everybody, even my opponent,” she said, can “talk constructively about how we can move forward together. I need to take the momentum, the information and the support and transfer that to other campaigns to get more people voting and staying engaged.”

Click Here to Read Michelle Kingston's interview of Teri Galvez.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM Shana

I met Jill a few weeks ago when she was knocking on doors in my neighborhood. She really took the time to listen to my frustrations with the national Republican party and the incompetence of this city's government. I am proud to support her for committeewoman (just cast my vote this morning!)

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM tw

I'm a new DC voter and while I've never met Ms. Homan, I'm totally impressed with her vision for an urban Republican party. I grew up outside Chicago and know how hard it is for the GOP to makes waves in a city environment, but that doesn't mean we should sit back and be content with the status quo. As a (conservative!) black Hispanic, Jill's work in Wards 7 and 8 inspire me -- it's not every day you see a blond haired, blue eyed woman going across the Anacostia, especially a Republican one!

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM Katie

Having interacted with both Jill and Teri, the main difference between them is accessibility. While I understand the hectic schedules of some individuals, it's frustrating to consistently have to follow-up with somebody just to get a simple response. I've never felt that way with Jill.

Despite owning her own company, being heavily involved in the DC GOP, and juggling this campaign with the rest of her obligations, Jill remains calm under pressure and truly engages with everyone she meets. It takes a special kind of person to connect that way with people. Jill definitely has my support.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM Charlotte

What could be better than a competitive Republican race to show that Republicans are dedicated to changing the political dynamics in DC and also in the nation? Jill with her business, grass roots experience and education (she has an Engineering Degree too) is an exceptional person to work to on national Republican policy. I am particularly impressed with her work in Wards 5, 7 and 8.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM Michael Towers

Nice to see that Teri supporters were classy enough not to ambush the comments as Jill supporters were seemingly instructed to do for Teri's piece with three random negative comments in a one hour span. (See for yourself - http://www.georgetowner.com/articles/2012/mar/20/teri-galvez-encourages-dc-vote-republican/ )

But, for all the Jill supporters or anyone that knows her better than myself, I ask what has Jill done?

I know Teri was instrumental in creating the party's biggest fundraiser (the Lincoln Douglass dinner), I know she runs the Miss DC Scholarship program and hosts the DCGOP Christmas party and numerous other party fundraisers at her house. But BEFORE Jill announced she was running for National Committeewoman, what of note had she done for the party?

It seems that other than being a press secretary with a knack for empty rhetoric, the supposed "substance candidate" didn't actually do much until she decided she was entitled to the National Committeewoman position.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM LEM

I find Jill annoying. Here is the reality, she cannot fulfill the role that this position requires. She is wasting everyone's time and money. It is obnoxious.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Jaydee

I've gotten to know both candidates, Teri and Jill. The biggest difference is their work ethic and sense of commitment. Teri likes the social scene; Jill rolls her sleeves up and gets the job done. Jill doesn't feel entitled to the position and is working hard for every vote. Teri is using endorsements from those DC GOP insiders with affluence to get her message out. It's unfortunate if we don't get someone willing to work for our party at the local and national level who isn't trying to just show up in the "Scene" section of the Washington Post (Teri). The DC GOP has kept a very tight knit group of people involved in their organization and Teri is part of that group. Consequently they haven’t accomplished anything but major losses with representation in DC politics. I heard one person describe the difference between the two women as Teri is a show horse; Jill is a work horse.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM Tina

So Michael Towers - Teri should have the position because she has a Christmas party at her house, supports the beauty pageant - uh, I mean scholarship program - and plans the Lincoln Douglas dinner? Is that all she has accomplished for the party? Soun's like a party planner thinks she is entitled to me. Brown nosing with the current leadership doesn't equate qualified. And, what has the DCGOP leadership done but loose every DC city council race since 2004? Yeah, let’s put one of their buddies in the position so we can maintain the status quo. To top it off, I've heard Teri accuse people of being racist if they don't support her....that is insane! What has she done in the past 20 years to build minority representation in the DC party? Zero!

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM Lady Bug

I love this article. Jill has worked hard for the party and I'm impressed with how she has pushed her campaign for many months now. She's a go getter and I wish her the best. Jill has worked every single day to win this race the old fashioned way: reaching out to each and every voter in the city. Jill hasn't once expected to just be handed this job by the sitting DC Republican leadership.

Michael Towers and LEM on this comments page don't have a clue because Jill's political experience and education are both very impressive. She's a top notch candidate.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM Michael Towers

So in response to Lady Bug and Tina, I'll ask the same avoided question again (This should be a easy question for the "work horse" team):

"BEFORE Jill announced she was running for National Committeewoman, what of note had she done for the party?"

Teri "the party planner" raises money for the GOP, shows strong support to various republican groups, and brings our message to sectors of the community our party just hasn't been able to reach.

Since Jill's such a "work horse," of course you have tons of different things she has done for the party that you can list right?

Has she done anything, like Teri has, to help the DC community that is non-partisan maybe?

Or is Jill only a hard worker when she is working for herself???

She hasn't been in DC for long and the entire time she has been angling for this position. All these Black History events were nowhere to be found before she was running for National Committeewoman.

Here's the difference between the two in a nutshell: Teri has significant accomplishments and is asking to do more, while Jill SAYS she can accomplish things, but she just needs a fancy "title" first...

I've had enough of candidates who promise, but have never delivered. Tomorrow vote Teri Galvez.

And if you haven't yet, meet Teri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1hTEWRkqZM

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Michael Towers

Or is Jill only a hard worker when she is working for herself???

And if you haven't yet, meet the real Teri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1hTEWRkqZM

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM Michael Towers

Or is Jill only a hard worker when she is working for herself???

And if you haven't yet, meet Teri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1hTEWRkqZM

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM Tina

Michael - this article was written to support Jill. You complained, "Teri supporters were classy enough not to ambush the comments as Jill supporters were seemingly instructed to do for Teri's piece", yet you came here and deliberately posted multiple negative comments on Jill. So you have no class I see. We are supporting Jill. Your idea of Teri's accomplishments is beauty pageants and parties. Plus, Teri has called people a racist who don't support her. Give us a break. This is a NATIONAL COMITTEEWOMAN spot. It is to work with the RNC. Teri is trying to say she will build minority representation but for 20 years she has never done that while here. Jill has worked national politics and has the tact and grace that Teri lacks when she deals with people. Teri is confrontational and defensive – I’ve never seen Jill act that way. Teri has said to more than one person that there shouldn't be two more white people in this position (referencing both Committee spots). And, she has accused people who don't support her of being racist - which is insane! If she acts like that under pressure, how is she going to behave with the Republican National Party who she will be working with on a regular basis?

So whatever you say, support Teri on Teri's article instead of spreading your nonsense for the party planner here. If she wins, it’s business as usual with the DCGOP.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM Tina

Oh, and that U-tube video is GROSS. It shows how narcissistic and self serving Teri is!

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM Bettyann

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Terrific blog and outstanding style and design. regards from arabic escort dubai

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM escortes Paris

Vous pourriez certainement voir votre enthousiasme dans le travail que vous écrivez sur www.georgetowner.com. Le monde espère encore plus passionnée des écrivains comme vous qui n'ont pas peur de dire comment ils croient. Toujours suivre votre cœur.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM prodvizhenie-raskrutka-sayta

I would not recommend having an intro at all, research shows that when you have an intro ( or a splash page as its known ) people are far less likely to watch it and then view your site.. . on top of that you will seriously lose search engine position due to lack of content on that page meaning less visitors and decreased interest in your site.. . have a serious think before you continue is my professional advice. . but as I always tell my customers, I only advise, as its your site its ultimately up to you what you want to do with it, so my advice is to contact local web design companies and ask if they can do it as I am not sure there are many that include it in their price list as an individual service.. I know I don't, even though I could

Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:14:46 -0400