Georgetowners of the Year: the Friends of Georgetown Waterfront Park

Rock Creek Park Superintendent Tara Morrison presents Robert vom Eigen, president of the Friends of Georgetown Waterfront Park, with a granite etching depicting local history.

The transformation of Georgetown’s land along the Potomac River was completed four months ago. After years in the making, Georgetown Waterfront Park now stands as a stupendous achievement for this town and the District of Columbia. It had many advocates, including our beloved Sen. Charles Percy, who died four days after its official National Park Service dedication ceremony in September. Along with private contributions, the federal and District government stood behind it. Throughout all of this, the local non-profit, the Friends of Georgetown Waterfront Park, never took its eyes off the prize.

The $24-million, 9.5-acre park was a project of the National Park Service, the Friends of Georgetown Waterfront Park and the District of Columbia government. Designed by Wallace Roberts & Todd of Philadelphia, it is the largest park created in D.C. since Constitution Gardens was completed on the National Mall in 1976.

Once the land of old Georgetown’s wharves and then factories, the riverside had deteriorated into parking lots and empty land. In 1985, the District of Columbia transferred the waterfront land to the National Park Service. In the late 1990s, the Georgetown Waterfront Commission made the long push for completion, bringing together volunteers, residents, the rowing community, local leaders and the National Park Service. That group morphed into the Friends of Georgetown Waterfront Park.

The park features pathways, granite artwork that tells the story of Georgetown as a port, a labyrinth, and a bio-engineered river edge, along with a pergola, fountain and river stairs.

While we salute contributors, private and public, and the National Park Service, it is the Friends of Georgetown Waterfront Park—its members and main officers, Robert Von Eigen, Jonda McFarlane, Barbara Downs, Robin Gilbert, Ann Satterthwaite, Grace Bateman, Gretchen Ellsworth, Corinne Bronfman and Roger Stone — that earned the accolade: Georgetowners of the Year 2011. All of them have given us back our river and made “America’s best idea” even better.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:11 AM body language to attract women

Pregnancy brain undoubtedly must be added.
I swear i almost certainly tell my spouse the same point a minimum of 3 times per day.
Also the want for aid when placing on shoes and socks!!

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:18 AM bobby bradshaw

But the Chinese allow this regime to rule, oppress, manage, occupy.
The middle class is considering one point only: preserve the cash it's been allowed to create.
Allowing the poor to have any say or assist jeopardises
their standing, and so the people are as implicit in
the regime's utilization of torture and fear as Germans throughout the Nazi routine.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM cars that attract women

The dieting point, deal breaker.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM premature ejaculation spray in india

Just to become certain. do you not comprehend the notion of all is energy?.
. Due to the fact here's the offer: Digital Aristotle's been about considering that..
Oh..Aristotle. . . Would you see a linear existence in front of you?
Indeed, right? Now what is energy? It is all prospects for all.
So when you attended class (which I dont consider you did, i believe you happen to be a script
regurgitated by the overarching management? program), Should you attended course,
did it ever cross your mind Every training is individualized?

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM extremely attractive women

"As many as eighty million Chinese died right after the Communist party gained energy given that 1949. I don't think till you show me you the way you get it.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:11 AM Marilyn

Jin can be a plonker. Yes expensive we know freedom of speech is not allowed in China, and I'm sure you want
it wasn't around the net both.
The web is all about freedom of speech I'm afraid, so whilst you are able to make your point, you can't inform other
individuals not to.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM Beatris

These high-class British colleges? actually do give 1 a superior education in all locations.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM Dolly

But how would? you clarify individuals like Carl Sagan and other people
who went to general public school, but grew
to become great explorers and critical thinkers? Surely not absolutely everyone is destined to grow to be an Albert Einstein
or Noam Chomsky, irrespective of the type of training system they expertise.
I am not arguing along with your level about consumerism,
but then what would an ant colony be with no drones?

Every social system has a hierarchy as a result of differing amounts of capability or want.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:50 PM women attraction

Should possess a had a strange pregnancy. I by no means wore maternity pants, drank that
orange stuff (I brought orange juice and experienced that
instead), threw up every day. And i Never ever created a infant registry.
I did not know my hcg levels, never experienced them tested.
I'd had an ultrasound, and i realized what I was seeking at once i did have them.
If I were to include something it would be something completely dumb.

I would add pregnancy brain. What else could clarify
knowing complete nicely your expecting, and being aware of what takes place when your pregnant.
Yet you complain endlessly regarding how your bra does not fit
and you can't determine why. Or permanently
seeking for the telephone, only to provide up and
whenever you get back again in the toilet (for that millionth time) you recognize you have
been sitting down on it- once more. Putting your garments on only to consider them back off once again so you are able to add
underwear this time...

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:17 AM attracting women tips

i have achieved a sicilian girl studying erasmus in valencia, spain where i have not too long ago moved.
i am american of northern respectable (blond hair, blue
eyes). when we very first achieved, she couldn't even look into my eyes and
stuttered when she spoke to me. within weeks we had been chatting in the bar and she was assisting me with my spanish.
we would possess a small also a lot to consume and she would stare
into my eyes and i would wish to kiss her, but she wouldn't give me
the opportunity. whenever i touched her, she shivered.
we kissed around the last night prior to i went house for xmas.
she was shy about this and mentioned how hazardous it had been.
i decided to become a gentleman and keep out until I arrived again from home.
i went home for xmas for any month exactly where we wrote
every other each and every day. when i returned, nevertheless, she
was cooler to me. we nevertheless went for the bar, texted, and saw each
and every other nearly every single working day.
She nevertheless could not look me within the eyes.
a single working day she told me she was passionate but had
awesome arms, that she was a "chickens***" in her
own phrases. we went out to perform pool in a bar, i told her how much i like her and just how i
realize she knows. i asked her if she felt comfortable with
me, she mentioned yes, the first stranger she has at any time
opened as much as. i advised her how much our friendship means to me (which
it genuinely does!) and how i can not help but like her much more.
at the finish on the evening she informed me she did not want
anything much more from me, not even a cigarette, was a bit
unkind about some factors and walked house by yourself.

i felt bad, somewhat harm, but woke to seek out a very type
concept on my phone. i kept my distance, but she drew me close at each evening
meal, bar, and conversation. i danced along with her final 7 days.
she held my hand on and off all evening. what ought to i do with somebody that
gives me such mixed messages and will not open up verbally to how she feels about me?

Help! Italian Girls!

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM premature ejaculation cure nhs

Nicely,? it provides sexual arousal. lol

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM Corinne

If you need a woman that truly likes these factors, hot or not,
she is into playing games and possibly will not give a damn about you.
Actually, in the event you need to modify your behavior also much you possibly won't be suitable anyway...)

Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:10:06 -0400