We Lose a Music Man, Two Critics and a Fashion Champion

Robert Hughes
Robert Hughes

Two Critics, One of Art, One of Film, Both With a Little Acid: Robert Hughes and Judith Crist

Robert Hughes, 74, had a life writ large, and he wrote large, too, doing for the visual arts (and his native Australia) a great favor, writing books, essays, criticism and biographies about the former, and a big, giant readable history for the latter and thereby helping large numbers of readers understand both better.

Judith Crist, 90, was one of the top movie critics of the 1960s and 1970s, a field that came to be dominated just a little in that era by women writers, making movies that much the better.

Both critics died this past week, leaving behind a readable accumulation of reading matter on their specialties and lives. The fact of their passing reminded us that critics, when they’re as good, sharp, deeply informed as Hughes and as popular as Crist, could be enormously important and influential, no matter how much you might disagree or get angered by their opinions.

Hughes was skeptical to some degree about modern art, but he also helped make it palatable and understandable to every day sort of readers with his position as a writer for Time Magazine and a PBS television series, and his lively, if often controversial opinions and style, dubbed “pugnacious by many.”

His best-selling history, “The Fatal Shore,” told the history of Australia from its convict settler beginnings to modern time in a lively, detailed style that seemed almost novelistic.

Crist was nothing if not passionate about movies—sharing a fondness for serious films, some foreign directors and, of course, the critics’ darling, Woody Allen. But she was absolute death on Hollywood extravaganzas like “Cleopatra” and star-studded dashers, once calling “Cleopatra,” the Burton-Liz tempest in a pyramid a “mouse.”

Crist was delightfully readable if not particular cutting edge in her tastes or deep in her thinking. That honor, I think, went to Pauline Kael, a contemporary of Crist’s who could also be tempestuous but for my money had deeper insights. Both added immensely to our understanding of movies and to the broadening of our likes (and sometimes dislikes).

One would have to wonder how either Crist or Hughes would fare in today's Internet world, where every blogger is a critic, and twitterers presume to hold the same job.

Passing of a Fashion Journalist: Anna Piaggi

Not everyone that writes about fashion becomes famous unless they somehow become publishers of a fashion magazine, but Anna Piaggi managed that not inconsiderable task. That may have had something to do with the fact that she had a terrific and original fashion sense of her own. She knew hats, she knew drama, and she had a collection of thousands of dresses and shoes. And her writing and flair inspired no less a fashion legend than Karl Lagerfeld.

Lagerfeld was so impressed by her that he once said, according to one obituary, that Anna “invents” fashion. Fittingly, she died at 81 in Milan, the fashion hub of Italy.

The Music Man: Marvin Hamlisch

If music were an empire, Marvin Hamlisch would be its emperor. If music were a kingdom, Hamlisch would be its king. If music were a bunch of states, Hamlisch would be the president, by acclamation with no negative ads.

Marvin Hamlisch, who died at age 68 this week, was our music man, maybe the music man. Seventy-six trombones weren’t ever enough—he had music in movies, music on stage, symphonic music, pop music, every which kind of music and he had the Oscars, the awards, the acclaim to prove it. Not that he couldn’t have done it just by talking about it.

Hamlisch, who was the National Symphony Orchestra’s pop conductor—a position created just for him—for 11 years, was in a word everywhere, but especially in our heads and memories. Romance? Try “The Way We Were,” the recurrently romantic song sung and performed by Barbra Streisand in a movie starring Barbra Streisand, but not composed by Barbra Streisand.

In the year of “The Sting” and “The Way We Were,” two classic, hugely entertaining films, Hamlisch collected three Oscars, a haul that seemed almost unseemly until you listened to the Scott Joplin ragtime score for “The Sting” and never, ever forgot it. He was a part of "Performances at the White House," he was on television playing the piano and educating kids with his versatility, he sang, he talked, he never stopped being music’s music man.

He was also ubiquitous on Broadway, most memorably with the music for “A Chorus Line”, a one-of-a-kind legendary Broadway musical about—Broadway. Dim the lights a little, a flicker, for Marvin Hamlisch, the music man.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM norske spilleautomater

It's going to be end of mine day, but before end I am reading this
great post to improve my know-how.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM m88

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the
same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM Las Vegas Social Media

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you're just too wonderful.
I really like what you have acquired here, really like
what you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible.
I can not wait to read far more from you.
This is actually a terrific website.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:00 PM Natural breast enlargement

Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the
images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM papa pear saga hack

If you want to improve your know-how just keep
visiting this website and be updated with the most recent gossip posted here.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:36 PM china android tablet

Nevertheless, these are some of the best Android compass apps that are available.
On the other hand, when it comes to the charge the gadget itself, Android wins.
They're starting to be quicker, easier, and much more flexible for your
customers to employ.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:48 PM gamzz.com

Hello there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I
genuinely enjoy reading your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics?
Thanks a lot!

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM sbobet

There's definately a lot to find out about this topic.
I really like all of the points you've made.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM China Shopping Mall

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
The style and design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.

Cheers

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:53 AM michael kors purses outlet

I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really really fastidious paragraph on
building up new blog.

michael kors purses outlet

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:54 AM michael kors purses outlet

building up new blog.

michael kors purses outlet

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM Descargar WhatsApp para PC

Hi there! This blog post could not be written much better!
Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!

He always kept talking about this. I'll send this post to him.
Pretty sure he's going to have a great read. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:16 AM Thierry Lasry Lunettes

hello!,I really like your writing very a lot!
percentage we communicate extra approximately your article on AOL?
I require an expert in this space to resolve my problem.
May be that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM Descargar WhatsApp para PC

I am really pleased to read this weblog posts which includes tons of helpful facts, thanks
for providing such statistics.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM Delia

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
My site has a lot of exclusive content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems
a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement.
Do you know any ways to help stop content from
being stolen? I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:54 AM m88

M88 Several countries have absolutely accepted bingo.

These are generally often the nations world wide who have
developed a big fiscal industry through gaming. Then extra countries that contain
prohibited it and possess had too many00 bounds close to the
item. That's where a lot of people encounter M88 Vietnam has
slipped. They receive not used the opportunity in m88 bingo fully
but still taking money options out of it out time frame.
Many people may sense that this can be a m88 really great thing, but from an economic view it may be a weak problem

The main arguments in opposition to gambling online require the particular concern of integrated the actual squad.
Because it is straightforward that will put money shared you don't desire to wrong
specific getting on m88 the personal computer and putting cash around.
They might easily waste material their own in addition
to another woman's life cost savings using the click on of your mouse button.
Due to specific objective it is vital for virtually any country to have regulations and as well safe officers against minors getting on top these m88 gambling
online web sites. They only don't have from the life feelings that are crucial that you
face the proper decisions with such models of things

Females stress about in your head differently abled
people joining these kind of on the web m88 casinos. Occasionally they can n't have the wisdom necessary to enjoy gambling and
might enter problems. This is dangerous and
also precautions must be taken whenever a state acadamies m88 online gambling to protect against that

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM bodog88

The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole
my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop,
just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

I know this is completely off topic but I had to share
it with someone!

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM making a twitter page for a business

I leave a leave a response each time I appreciate a article on
a website or I have something to contribute to the conversation.
Usually it's a result of the passion displayed in the post I
read. And on this post We Lose a Music Man, Two Critics and a Fashion Champion | The Georgetowner.
I was excited enough to leave a leave a responsea response ;-) I do have a few
questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or does it
appear like some of the remarks come across like left by brain dead
folks? :-P And, if you are posting on other online sites, I'd like to follow you.
Could you list every one of your social sites like your Facebook page,
twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:27:59 -0400