Walter Reed Army Medical Center Closed

The fountain in front of the historic Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Walter Reed website
The fountain in front of the historic Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

After 102 years of operation, the Walter Reed Army Medical Center officially closed yesterday with a stirring ceremonial retiring of the hospital’s colors. The Medical Center, which provided care to present and former military members and their families, will relocate, splitting their operations between the newly renamed Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda and the Fort Belvoir Community Hospital in Fairfax by Sept. 15.

This Friday, Maj. Gen. Carla Hawley-Bowland, commander of the medical center, will transfer her position to Brig. Gen. Joseph Caravalho Jr.

According to an article by Meredith Somers for The Washington Times, the hospital’s former location, although it consisted of 72 buildings on 172 acres, did not have the space it needed to expand and accommodate the changing needs of its patients. The move has been planned since 2005, when the Medical Center received orders to close from the Base Realignment and Closure Commission.

At the new site in Bethesda, construction projects have begun to alleviate traffic congestion outside the hospital as an estimated 2,500 additional workers are expected to be commuting to the area each day along with patients and visitors. According to the Chevy Chase Patch, the intersections at Connecticut Avenue and Jones Bridge Road, Rockville Pike and Cedar Lane, Rockville Pike and Jones Bridge Road and Old Georgetown Road and Cedar Lane are all scheduled to be improved.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Claudia

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It's pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and
bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will
be much more useful than ever before.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Claudia

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It's pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:12 AM microwave oven combo

Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords
but I'm not seeing very good success. If you know of any please share.
Kudos!

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:43 AM combi Oven

Nice blog here! Also your web site loads up very fast! What host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish
my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM låna pengar från utlandet

In fact when someone doesn't know after that its up to other people that they will
help, so here it happens.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM stainless steel Range hood

What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've
found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
I'm hoping to give a contribution & help different users
like its helped me. Great job.

Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:09:38 -0400