Op-Ed: Georgetown University Shows Disregard for Its Neighbors

We recognize that Georgetown University, as a world-class educational institution, makes positive contributions to our neighborhoods. Unfortunately, being the University’s neighbor also has major disadvantages, such as group-house noise, alcohol-fueled student misbehavior, traffic and parking congestion, trash, and blighted, unsafe housing stock. Georgetown University’s 2010 expansion plan promises more of the same.

GU’s plan proposes to increase enrollment by approximately 3,400 students from its 2009 level, but fails to provide any additional significant on-campus housing. It is clear GU will continue to rely on the existing homes in the surrounding neighborhoods — Georgetown, Burleith, Glover Park, and Foxhall — to house a substantial portion of its student body. This is unconscionable, irresponsible, and threatens the viability of our communities.

Other negative aspects of its plan include the construction of new mixed-use buildings in West Georgetown, despite the protests of residents and the accompanying increase in traffic through our already overburdened neighborhoods. Our communities are also concerned about the environmental impact of the proposed 83-foot-tall utility plant chimney, the proposed new loop road, the roof over Yates Sportscenter, and the alignment of 38th Street with GU’s main campus and hospital entrance.

Georgetown University and President DeGioia have failed to effectively manage off-campus student behavior. Disorderly conduct, late night noise, and trash violations resulting in rodent infestation all fundamentally degrade our quality of life. The absence of on-campus housing in the proposed plan assures continuation of the town-gown stalemate that has defined our relations with the University for far too long.

An outpouring of concern by citizens has galvanized neighborhood associations representing the communities most affected by GU’s intransigence. We stand together in opposing the GU plan.

We would like GU to honor its pledge to be a good neighbor, one of the 2010 plan’s own guiding principles. We intend to hold GU to its responsibility to comply with the DC Zoning Regulations, which provide that a college or university shall be located so that it is not likely to become objectionable to neighboring property because of noise, traffic, number of students, or other objectionable conditions.

Our residents are joined in the fight for their neighborhoods. We expect Mayor Fenty and Councilmember Jack Evans and other councilmembers to support our efforts. D.C.’s Office of Planning and D.C.’s Zoning Commission need to require GU to comply with D.C.’s zoning regulations and help us protect our communities.

The Burleith Citizens Association, Citizens Association of Georgetown, Foxhall Community Citizens Association, Glover Park Citizens Association and Hillandale Homeowners Association

For a point-by-point rebuttal to GU’s recent letter to the community visit www.cagtown.org.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:28 AM DR

Our Campus
Not your plantation

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM max

I a current homeowner is Georgetown knew Georgetown University was there before I my home. Many Georgetown homeowners need to get over themselves, and found something productive to do with their time I money. Why not try to work with University. The arrogance of many residents is so overwhelming!!

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM Bampreoriasop

online aspirin no prescription
scrub aspirin face mask
ibuprofen aspirin complex
studivz aspirin
taking aspirin during pregnancy may
tekst pjesme aspirin je
warfarin with aspirin pulmonary embolism
yamaha aspirin
ulcer tylenol aspirin ibuprofen
safety aspirin ibuprofen
atarax 25 dolor de cabeza
buy astelin online
atarax syrup
atenolol dihydropyridine
atarax canada
atacand gebrauchsinformation
atenolol interactions
high blood pressure atenolol
atenolol reported problems elevated heart rate
lipitor schedule atorvastatin calcium
does atenolol have sexual side affects
augmentin and birth control pills
ventolin vs atrovent asthma medications
racemic atorvastatin
bauchschmerzen augmentin
longueur d onde augmentin
prezzo augmentin online
overdose on augmentin yeast infection
avapro price buy
avodart tabletas
dutas generic avodart
purchase avodart hyperplasia
cheap0 avodart
azithromycin erfahrungen
sales azithromycin

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:25 AM Jonahex

I agree with the post above and I will get more information from google.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM BlelayBox

plan b new american tavern address
plavix duration of management
implantation bleeding after using plan b
walmart pharmacy plan b supplement
plavix dental surgery
plavix and peripheral nerve block
plan b portland art museum
alternatives to plan b
plan b longboard graphics
prednisolone dosage for allergies
plavix smart
pravachol rebate
otsuka pletal abnormal stools
plavix how long after stent
prevacid pregnancy safe
liquid prednisolone for cats
compare crestor to zocor pravachol
premarin manufacturing hormone replacement
what is prevacid for
premarin in infertility
how long cane i take prevacid
plavix interaction prilosec and nexium
prednisolone suppositories
prilosec drug monograph
premarin causing hives
espa ol plan b
plavix drug eluting stents
future effect of plan b
plan b brand online
plavix fatigue dizziness
plavix and h2
plan b walmart price barr
plan b reggaeton lyrics
rakim y ken plan b caratula
prednisolone for children tablets
indikation plavix
statin effects pravachol
pletal label
pletal and plavix
prevacid and low blood pressure
prednisolone toddler medicine
is pravachol a staten drug
premarin spanish wyeth
375 naprapac prevacid
premarin prescription conjugated estrogens
order aciphex prevacid lansoprazole
blood pressure prilosec otc acid reducer
prednisolone mims adrenal suppression
taking zantac vs prilosec
premarin spoil

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM fairyAlexissss

Hi, I'm a newbie here, but I already want to bring all the benefits of me :) So, I want to share my experience with you..
9 days ago, accidentally, i had found the Mobile Phone TV...and I was so delighted with this application
that I decided to talk to you :)

I consider myself a bit of a road warrior. I am on and off jets and through airports at least twice,
usually 4 times a week. I can catch up on news, watch a Discovery program, check up on the stock market or just find something interesting.
The live guide works like cable at home and the connection speed is very good. All in ALL - I RATE A 5 Star program!

but I do not want to leave any links here, so you can email me fairyalexiss@gmail.com
and i will give you the site of this unusual program :)

(but please don't PM me, because it's so difficult to communicate in such kind of way)

so, I hope I was helpful to you)) see you in next posts ..

sincerely
your Alexis....

p.s. English is not my native language, so sorry for any mistakes :)

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM Christie

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you
would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy
reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:05:01 -0400